Like any home appliance, air conditioning system need a little TLC to provide ideal performance. It's the Air conditionings that haven't been kept in superior condition that tend to struggle most in heat.
To make certain you do not lose your cool when the weather condition heats up, we asked the professionals at Consumer Reports and air conditioner pros to recognize the most typical problems that crop up with window and main air conditioners. They highlighted eight issues to fix now. Plus, you'll find our list of leading ac system for small, medium, and big spaces, below.
The No. 1 issue impacts both window units and main A/C systems, and-- we're happy to report-- it's the most convenient to repair. Here are eight concerns to ask that will help you keep your Air Conditioner at peak efficiency all summer long.
1. Is the Filter Dirty?
No matter which kind of ac system you have, a clogged filter limits airflow, reducing effectiveness and reducing the capability to effectively cool the air. If you have not cleaned the filter in your window or portable air conditioner recently, make certain you do and after that check it occasionally. For central AC systems, inspect the filter manufacturer's suggestion for when to switch in a new one. In CR's tests, filters last anywhere from three to 12 months.
Simply bear in mind that if your system is running continuously or if you have animals, you will require to change your filters more frequently. "When we get calls about central air systems that aren't working well, nine times out of 10 it's since of an unclean filter," says Stewart Unsdorfer, owner of Central Heating & Air Conditioning in Cleveland.
What Matters to You Matters to Us
We evaluate thousands of items so you can create your finest home.
2. Is It Too Sunny Within?
If your window AC remains in a window that gets direct sunshine in the heat of the day, it'll have to work harder to cool your space. If you have an option, move it to a shadier spot. If not, keep your tones and curtains drawn throughout the day to block the sun and avoid it from warming up your house.
3. Is Warm Air Leaking In? Examine the seals around your window AC to make certain hot air isn't getting in (or cold air isn't seeping out). Reseal around your system with weather removing if necessary.
" Many brand-new window units feature insulation panels to place over the plastic adjustable side panels," says Chris Regan, CR's senior air conditioner tester. "However to maximize effectiveness, check here you'll still require to use weather condition stripping around the boundary of the system. And always utilize the maker's setup and security hardware."
4. Is Your Window Air Conditioning Vibrating? Air conditioners make lots of sound, including from the whir of the fan and the sound of the compressor biking on and off. These noises are typical. However if you hear a vibrating sound, it may imply that your system was installed improperly. Make sure it's sitting firmly in the window and review the installation guidelines in your owner's handbook to verify that no actions were missed.
Central Air Conditioning Checklist
5. Is the Thermostat on the Right Setting?
With a clever or programmable thermostat, you can more quickly control the temperature level in your house so that it's comfortable when you exist and a bit warmer when you're not. If the temperature level seems off, make sure the thermostat isn't exposed to direct sunshine, which might trigger it to register the wrong temperature.
6. Are the Registers Dirty or Blocked?
If you have a forced-air heating & cooling system, regularly vacuum the registers to eliminate any dust accumulation. Make sure that furniture and other items aren't obstructing the airflow through your registers.
7. Are Plants Crowding the Compressor?
The outdoor compressor for central air conditioning requires appropriate airflow to work correctly, so ensure there's at least 2 to 3 feet of area in between the compressor and any plants or structures. There should also be 5 feet of clearance in between the top of the system and any trees above.
8. Did You Keep In Mind the Annual Checkup? An evaluation by an A/C (heating, ventilation, and cooling) professional can catch any serious issues prior to they become worse and leave you hot and troubled. The technician will check all the moving parts, in addition to the refrigerant, and charge the system if needed.
Required a New Air Conditioner?
If your room ac system is beyond repair, you can discover one that succeeded in our tests for just around $200 for a little unit and upwards of $800 for a large one. Make sure you match the size of the ac system to the space it's indicated to cool. Listed below, we note designs in each size that carried out well in CR's tests. You can discover more in our complete air conditioner ratings.